Light is a nonprofit agency for high school youth in the 77088 Texas zip code. The program will form partnerships with local school districts and the juvenile court systems. Light’s goal is to denounce gang affiliation and promote entrepreneurship for a means to provide a decent living.
Through repeated failures in the classroom and the continuing development of destructive habits young people have lost hope in the American dream of financial success through diligent work.
Light is a program that is in direct response to the growing number of young people who are tangled in gang activity and the juvenile court system. The goal of the program is to identify youth with basic leadership skills and to give them the tools needed to become a positive community business leader. As these individuals who already have a following in their neighborhoods become successful business people they will be used to help other troubled youth by becoming their mentor.
Light will hold weekly trainings with selected youth to assist them in creating a business plan for their future. Once the youth reach a proper age and have proven themselves ready to begin their business Light will donate money to begin the business and require the businesses to pay a percentage of their monthly earnings.
Light is being established to provide guidance to troubled youth by educating them in business that they may see there are legal means to make a decent wage. This will be accomplished by providing two mentoring programs:
1. Stackin’: Stackin is the central program for Light and will be a class given once a week to educate the youth in basic business skills and educate.
Grub: Grub will be a lunch appointment
made with each youth each week to get to know each youth better and assure they
The mission of Light is the pursuit of the following principles:
1. Ambition – Light will spark a desire to be a successful business person with lofty goals to push the youth to fill the measure of their creation.
2. Integrity – The youth will gain an understanding that success comes to those who are honest and trust worthy.
3. Responsibility – The focus of Light will be to empower youth in establishing goals and following through on commitments.
1. Establish a strong network of support with local school systems and juvenile court systems.
2. Find eight corporations to sponsor the organization in return for advertising on all Light signage.
3. Create an effective training program for mentors to assure they can help youth make and achieve goals.